Pages

Friday 2 March 2018

Comparing ROCO and Zvezda models of the T-34/76 tank

I decided to construct one of the Zvezda models of a T-34/76 tank to see how it compared in size with a ROCO model that I had. The results were interesting.





The Zvezda model is 1:100th-scale and the ROCO model is 1:87th-scale, and the latter should be 15% larger. In fact the main dimensions of the two models are as follows:
  • ROCO: 68mm x 34mm
  • Zvezda: 61mm x 30mm
When compared, the ROCO model is 7mm (and therefore 11.5%) longer and 4mm (and therefore 13.3%) wider than the Zvezda model.

The most noticeable difference is the height of the two models. The ROCO is 30mm high and the Zvezda model is 24mm high ... which I estimate means that the ROCO model is about 2.5mm too tall.

It is reasonably well known that the ROCO model is not one of their most accurate models, but I do have a lot of them. I also have quite a few Corgi ready-painted diecast models of the T-34 from their 'Fighting Machines' range, which are variously described as being 1:80th or 1:72nd-scale. When these are placed alongside the Zvezda model, the difference in size is far more noticeable.

6 comments:

  1. Bob,
    I hope you are not getting yourself into a conundrum over the scales available. 1/87th is HO Scale (at 3.5mm /ft.. a figure would be about 20mm tall)...1/76.2 is OO Scale ( at 4mm /ft a figure would be about 22mm tall)....1/72nd -stands alone ( a figure would be about 24mm tall in 1/72nd). Not much in it- though very noticeable...and it is further greatly noted when we begin to look at the size of vehicles and structures - when comparing scales. Further, different Manufactures working in the same 'Scale' will often produce vastly different sized vehicles and especially figures. I'd suggest, settling on the one Scale for your WW2 - and sticking to it faithfully...not mixing the Scales. As a final comment -to help- I have never considered mixing the Brands when it comes to 1/72nd etc...always choose just the one Manufacturer and never mix in other figures from another Brand - even if the items are stated to be the same 'Scale'. I'd never contemplate mixing a 25mm Wargames Foundry figures with say- Front Rank 25mm...they just do not match. Anyway- I'm hoping my rambling is of some help. Cheers. KEV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kev Robertson,

      Thanks very much for your comment.

      Model scales are a minefield, which is one reason why I did this comparison. What it made me think about is whether or not to go down the 1:100th-scale route for my vehicles rather than the 1:87th-scale that I favoured. I have quite large numbers of the latter, but as the comparison shows, the T-34 model is not very accurate when compared to its smaller brother from Zvezda.

      As to figures ... well I want to use figures that don't look too out of place with the vehicles, and I am thinking of using 20mm/OO-scale figures for my project.

      My Napoleonic collection is made up from figures for a range of manufacturers (and are thus slightly different heights and build), but once they are based they don't seem to be too obviously different.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  2. Hi Bob,

    I think that the 1:100th route with 20mm figure option works very well and although you have a lot of the 1/87th scale kit I suspect the former will be easier to acquire. As well as Zvezda there is also the Plastic Soldier Company 15mm range which continues to grow and has the advantages of cost and ease of assembly.

    Just my 2p worth.

    All the best,

    DC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David Crook,

      I suspect that the real deciding factor regarding the choice between using 1:100th or 1:87th scale vehicles will be how easy putting together the former models are in comparison with the latter. I had no trouble building the T-34 tank, but some of the others seem rather more fiddly and less robust.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  3. This is perilously close to Black Magic I fear.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.