Pages

Saturday 6 May 2017

Freemasonry in 'War and Peace'

I must admit to never, ever having read Tolstoy's WAR AND PEACE, although in mitigation I can state that I have read Victor Hugo's LES MISERABLES! I was therefore very interested to watch the BBC adaptation of the book when it appeared on DVD.

One thing that I had not realised was the importance that Freemasonry played in the life of Pierre, Prince Bezukhov, and was I very interested to listen to the arguments put forward by Tolstoy in support of Freemasonry and to see the Initiation ceremony that was portrayed.


It was very different for that used in most UK Lodges, although I understand it is very similar to that used in the Swedish Rite, the version of Masonic ritual used across most of the Scandinavian countries.

At the end of April I was informed that I have been promoted within Freemasonry in Hertfordshire to the rank of Provincial Grand Orator. For those of you who are Freemasons, you will understand that this is a signal honour. For those of you who aren't, the new role I will be taking up in September will involve me visiting numerous Lodges in Hertfordshire to deliver talks on Masonic subjects and to be more heavily involved in Masonic historical research. I will also be expected to deliver Orations (short talks that are used as a starting point for discussions in Lodge Meetings) and to support the work of the Provincial Grand Master and his team at ceremonies such as the Consecration of new Lodges and Banner Dedications. How much this will impact on my wargaming and blogging I have yet to discover, but I hope that any impact will be minimal.

7 comments:

  1. Bob,
    NOW I understand your interest in Travel Battle!
    Congratulations, but I - and your other readers - hope it will not prove too much of a distraction from PW et al.
    Best wishes,
    Arthur

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arthur Harman,

      I was asked if I would be willing to accept this promotion just over a month ago ... just as news of the release of TRAVEL BATTLE came out.

      I am hoping that it will not have too much impact on my wargaming. Masonically speaking, things are fairly quiet between the end of June and the beginning of September, with most meetings seem to take place from the beginning of October to the end of May. There is also a fortnight break over Christmas. I expect that I will be on Masonic duty once or twice a week ... which is not much more often than I am now.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  2. Having read War and Peace (from start to finish!) I have always thought Lev Tolstoy was himself a Freemason. But a quick check has unearthed no evidence I can find that in fact he was.

    Interesting comment about 'Grand orator' title. My father in Law (now deceased) was for a time member of the Timaru chapter (?) Freemasons and Toastmasters. Sounds like a candidate for a similar honour. But he left the Order. I have no idea why.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Bob,
    Yes, I also understand that it is very similar to Scandinavian ritual. It would make sense given the proximity at the time.

    Anyway, it was very nice to meet you in person at the bloggers' meet up at Salute. I may see you in Queen St. one of these days.

    S&F,

    Mark

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Wilde Goose (Mark),

      I understand that Bristol Workings includes a similar element in the Initiation ritual ... and I hope to find out for myself in June as I have been invited to take part in one such ceremony in Bristol.

      It was great to meet so many people whose names I know but whose faces I don't. Here's to meeting up again next year!

      S&F

      Bob

      Delete
  4. V many congratulations. One of my lodge members was the orator for Hampshire and the Isle of Wight. Regretfully he has since died but he was hugely knowledgeable and when we kicked junior members out from some of the ceremonies they couldn't yet see, he would always go out to natter to them and help their 'daily advancement'.

    Guy.

    PS I managed to spot myself (albeit v briefly) in episode 5 of the Freemasons series on Sky! I was in the line up at grand lodge for the annual investiture when they were filming last year. At least I could prove to Lindsay I was there and not gallivanting in a pub.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Guy,

      As you will see from today's blog entry, I was presented with my Provincial Grand Orator's aprons at a meeting of my Mother Lodge. My predecessor made the presentation, and I was deeply moved by this very kind gesture.

      As Lodge Mentor I always tried to make sure that I went out with the newer Brethren who couldn't stay in the Temple for all of the ritual, and many of them have subsequently told me how helpful that was in the growth of their understanding of The Craft.

      All the best,

      Bob

      PS. I have yet to see any of the SKY TV programmes about Freemasonry ... but now I have a good excuse to pay special attention to who appears on my screen!

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.