Pages

Monday 24 August 2015

Just another couple of books ...

On Saturday morning I paid one of my irregular visits to Falconwood Transport and Military Bookshop (5 Falconwood Parade, The Green, Welling, Kent, DA16 2PL). The shop was even more packed than usual, but despite this I did manage to find a couple of real bargains!

The first was an ex-library copy of F M von Senger und Etterlin's TANKS OF THE WORLD 1983, which was published by Arms and Armour Press (ISBN 0 85368 585 1). The book has 828 pages(!) with 731 drawings and 603 photographs, and covers pretty well all the armoured fighting vehicles in production and/or service across the world.

Examples of some of the book's pages are shown below:



The second book was an edition of JAPANESE NAVAL VESSELS AT THE END OF WORLD WAR II, published in 1992 by Greenhill Books (ISBN 1 85367 125 8). The original book was compiled by Shizuo Fukui and published on 25th April 1947 by the Administrative Division, Second Demobilization Bureau. It was intended to 'present in a very simple form a record of all the important vessels of the ex-Imperial Japanese Navy at the termination of the war'. The original book was hand-written and contained numerous hand-drawn and annotated side views of the vessels included in the record.


What particularly interested me was the information about the lesser-known vessels used by the Japanese, including such oddities as the Maru-Yu transport submarines built and operated by the Japanese Army!

4 comments:

  1. Two very useful Book Finds indeed - particularly as they appear to be full of Illustrations and the necessary dimensions to scale - a very good outing BOB...bye the way -I have just revamped my Blog and Postings for my NEW Project and thought that You may be particularly interested in one of the Posts "My Friend the Lt.Colonel"....yes- You do know him well -from the late 1970s prior to Greg's emigration to Australia. Hope You can take a look at 'The TINKERTON Project'.Best Wishes. Regards. KEV.

    ReplyDelete
  2. K.C.Robertson,

    I suspect that I am going to get quite a bit of use out of these books ... although I can think of at least one person who will probably want to borrow the tank/AFV book.

    I like your new project blog, and have already joined as a follower. Please give my regards to the Lt. Colonel ... whose talents were probably better recognised by the Australian Army than they had been in the British Army that he left when he emigrated. (Interestingly that seems to have changed over the last few years, with talent rather than class/origins finally seeming to be recognised more than it was.)

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  3. Greetings BOB,
    Thankyou for Your swift reply - certainly pleased You do recall GREG Mc...I will mention Your best wishes when I next speak to Greg (now retired from the AUS Army- with a New Career as a Lawyer- Greg has been quite busy). Thankyou also for Joining up to follow my 'TINKERTON Project' and certainly pleased that You like this NEW Project- very glad to have You on board BOB. ( Thought You have done a splendid job with Your Del Prado Napoleonic Armies - do like the Old-School finish too- well done indeed. Best Wishes. KEV.

    ReplyDelete
  4. K.C.Robertson,

    I only met Greg C a few times ... but he was - to use an apposite Aussie expression - a bloody good bloke!

    I really do like your Tinkerton project, and it sort of gels with some ideas that have been in the back of my mind for quite a few years ... and about which I may well write a blog entry in the near future. In the meantime I shall follow your progress with great interest.

    I am very pleased with the way my Del Prado figures have turned out, and really like the Old School look that they have. I have a few more in the pipeline, and hope to begin wargaming with them before the end of the year.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.