Pages

Friday 8 August 2014

Some recent acquisitions

Earlier this week I met up with David Crook ... and swapped a small part of my unpainted lead mountain for some painted figures that he wanted to dispose of.

The figures I have acquired include:
  • Two units of Turkish Infantry

  • Two Turkish Machine Guns
  • Two units of German Asia Corps Infantry

  • Two German Asia Corps Machine Guns and a Trench Mortar
  • A unit of British Infantry

They are all painted to a good standard, and only need re-basing before I can use them.

As I was getting them out of the box that they came in I was struck by the number of uses I could put these figures to. The addition of some artillery and cavalry will turn them into very useful small armies for the First World War Middle Eastern campaigns ... and my thoughts also turned to a possible re-staging of the famous Madasahatta Campaign of my more youthful years!

6 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness that brings back memories. I was so jealous of the players in madasahatta. I remember many hours of conversation with Eric looking over his figures and listening to his stories of the cam paigns events.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Was the country made up? was this based on an actual campaign?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Robert De Angelis,

    Taking part in the Madasahatta Campaign was one of the defining moments in my wargaming life ... and I still see and talk to some of my fellow 'campaigners' to this day.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  4. Irishhighlander,

    The whole thing was Eric Knowles's take on the East African Campaign of World War I but based on an imaginary island off the Indian Ocean coast of Africa.

    If you follow the link from the blog entry, you will find all the background information to the campaign, a copy of the campaign map, and several copies of the campaign newspaper.

    Read and enjoy.

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Bob,

    Delighted to be of service! Madasahatta 2 - the sequel. Coming to a blog near you soon - I hope!

    Seriously though, I am sure you will get a lot of use from these when added to the rest of your collection and I will certainly look forward to the result.

    All the best,

    DC

    ReplyDelete
  6. David Crook,

    They are great figures, and I would like to thank you again for passing them on to me,

    One somewhat 'off the wall' thought did strike me as I was looking at the figures in some detail. The German Asia Corps and British figures bear a resemblance to the uniforms worn by the Mexican Army during the early part of the twentieth century, and could easily be used as such. Jacklex make suitable artillery and cavalry for this period as well ... so the figures may have multiple uses ... which makes them an even better acquisition.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.