Pages

Tuesday 27 May 2014

I've been Liebstered!

It would appear that A Wargaming Gallimaufry has 'nominated' my blog for an award of sorts ... a Liebster Award.


I have no idea what the award is for, but it would appear that to 'accept' this award I have to nominate at least five other blogs and to answer some questions.

I could easily have just nominated the blogs that are featured on the right-hand sidebar, but instead I decided to nominate some of the other blogs that I follow. My nominated blogs are:
The questions (and my answers) are as follows:

Why did you start blogging?
  • I started whilst I was still teaching Information Technology to 17/18 year olds. The syllabus required them to create a blog and I had no idea how to write one ... so I did. So I started as part of a self-learning process.
If you could change one thing about the wargaming hobby, what would it be?
  • The spurious pursuit of realism. Once I accepted that what I do is play warGAMES (with emphasis on the games part of the word) and stopped trying to con myself into believing something different, I began to enjoy the hobby far more ... and to discover that you can actually create quite realistic and historical results from simple, quick, and easy to use game mechanisms.
What is best in life?
  • My family and friends. Life would not be worth much without either.
Fame or fortune?
  • I suspect that getting this award is about as famous as I will ever get, so I suppose that I will have to settle for fortune.
What miniatures are you most proud of having painted?
  • Some Russian World War II infantry that I sold to another wargamer. I had forgotten that I had passed them on to him, and when I saw some photographs of them on his blog I asked where he had got them because they looked so good ... and was very surprised when he told me that I had painted them!
How do you deal with burn out?
  • Not very well. I usually just take a break and do something else ... and that seems to cure the problem.
Why is a raven like a writing desk?
  • No idea.
Star Wars or Star Trek?
  • Star Trek. I enjoy both, but Star Trek just has the edge. But if Dr Who had been included in the options, Star Wars and Star Trek would have both been out of the running.
If you could only buy from one miniatures company from now on, which one would it be?
  • Essex Miniatures.
What is your favourite takeaway?
  • Fish and Chips, closely followed by Chinese.

12 comments:

  1. Nice answers...I was equally baffled when I was nominated! It's best just to go with it I think.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alastair,

    Thanks for the nomination. I enjoyed answering the questions and pointing people towards blogs they might not otherwise have visited.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats! A very inspiring and motivational site.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Justin Penwith,

    Cheers! Did you manage to follow any of the links to my nominated blogs?

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bob, Thank you for mentioning my blog (Wargame Hermit)! As usual, some of your fans took the time to check it out and viewing went way up. I also got to see some other great sites which I didn't know about and have some great reading ahead of me.

    Regards, John

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done! The only reason I didn't nominate you was that in some versions of the award it has to be for blogs with under 200 followers. But there are different versions about.

    Many people seem to be baffled by the "Why is a raven like a writing desk?" question. It's a quote from the Mad Hatter's tea party scene in Alice in Wonderland, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jhnptrqn (John),

    I was only too pleased to recommend your blog, and I am very pleased that a new tranche of people have visited your blog and that you have 'discovered' ones that you did not previously know about.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  8. Legatus Hedlius,

    I did not realise that there were any restrictions regarding nominations for this award. The person who nominated me certainly did not make me aware of it, and I suspect that they did not know about it either. Thanks for thinking that my blog ought to have been nominated had it met the award restrictions.

    I thought that the raven and writing desk question was a bit odd ... and it does not surprise me that it comes from Alice in Wonderland.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was kind of aware of it but I saw the rules more as "guidelines", in a Piratey sort of way :). Otherwise what seems like a good way to share blogs you like runs the risk of becoming too much like hard work!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Alastair,

    It sounds like you exercised good Nelsonian judgement and used the rules for guidance rather than obeying them to the letter. I certainly enjoyed nominating the blogs I chose and answering the questions.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  11. Geordie an Exiled FoG,

    It was well deserved. Yours is always an interesting blog to read.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.