Pages

Friday 12 July 2013

My Colonial Wargaming website

I have just renewed my agreement with the Internet Service Provider who hosts my Colonial Wargames website ... and then realised that I had not updated the website since August 2010.


The problem I have with the website has nothing to do with not having enough time to keep it up-to-date; it is due to problems I have with the web authoring software that I used to write the original web pages ... it was Microsoft FrontPage, which they stopped supporting some time ago. I have tried using Microsoft Expression – it's replacement – but I have never found it as easy to use as FrontPage ... with the result that I just stopped using it, and my Colonial Wargames website suffered as a result.

I am therefore looking for a cheap and simple to use replacement for Microsoft Expression ... and then I can do some work updating my Colonial Wargames website.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Bob,

    I really enjoy this website and hope that you bring it into the current 'state of the art' in terms of 'webbing'.

    It is full of interesting stuff and of course, any site with Madasahatta in will ALWAYS get my vote!

    All the best,

    DC

    ReplyDelete
  2. David Crook,

    The website needs some major work to get it up to scratch. This will take quite some time - and will impact on my blogging and wargaming whilst I do it - but I need to find an easier-to-use website authoring tool first.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Bob - in my pre Blogger days I used to use 1st Page 2000 by Evrsoft

    The older versions are free and I was always very happy with it still use it now every now and again...

    http://www.evrsoft.com/1stpage2.shtml

    I also use a much simpler application called EasyHTML, but it assumes a little more knowledge of HTML coding....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Steve-the-Wargamer,

    I have downloaded the program you recommended ... and after a couple of experimental goes at using it, it seems to be much more what I want than Microsoft Expression.

    I prefer to be able to use html coding for certain things, and this program gives me back the sort of options that I like to use. Thanks for the recommendation.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have you looked at Serif's web design program. If you're already familiar some of their other programs such as Pageplus this might make it quicker to learn.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nigel,

    Funnily enough I installed a copy of the Serif WebPlus software onto my computer of Sunday, and have been playing around with it. It is certainly simpler to use than MS Expression, but I still prefer FrontPage ... and would use it if I could get a copy!

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.