Pages

Thursday 11 October 2012

The Portable Wargame meets the electronic age!

Yesterday I received an email from Peter Maller. He has taken the PORTABLE WARGAME concept ... and created a simple computerised version!

In his email he writes that:
I began making a card and paper version of the portable wargame (I'm slowly reversing back into miniature gaming after being a board gamer since I left school) then wondered if I could make it work in a web browser.

Here is the result.

I understand that the game is very simple to use. All one has to do to move pieces is the 'click and drag' them. Peter has even provided a computerised dice throw function so that the whole thing can be played on a laptop (but not yet on an iPad!).

If you want to give Peter's games a go (there are two at present; a Samurai version and a Horse & Musket version), visit his website here.

10 comments:

  1. Conrad Kinch,

    I must admit that it impressed me!

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Bob,

    If this was on an IPad you really would have a Portable Wargame!

    Very impressive indeed!

    All the best,

    DC

    ReplyDelete
  3. David Crook,

    It may well come ... and if it does I will certainly look forward to using it!

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  4. Phil Broeders,

    I think that Peter Maller has done a great job to get as far as he has with this project, and I look forward to seeing where he takes it next.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  5. what is Peter Maller's actual BLOG Address?
    Dick Bryant
    Charge! There are no lead widows.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting. Great work on his part.

    Unfortunately I got as far as laying out 2 armies before deciding that given my flaky laptop and clumsy fingers, laying out a real game would be easier for me. I can see the value though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dick Bryant,

    As far as I understand Peter Maller has a website but does not have a blog.

    The URL for his website is http://cottonreeltank.org/cafelunar/gamecabinet/gridgame/ .

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ross Mac,

    I can see this electronic version being useful if I am away from home (on a cruise, for example!). That said, I am not sure that my laptop would be able to cope as it gets the vapours doing simple tasks that don't involve graphics.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.