Pages

Wednesday 1 August 2012

Resistance

During a recent visit to the local branch of ASDA I saw that the price of a DVD I had though about buying had dropped to only £5.00. It seemed like a bargain ... so I bought it.

The film is entitled RESISTANCE, and it is based on a best-selling, alternative-reality novel by Owen Sheers.


The story is set in Wales during 1944. The D-Day landings have failed, and the Germans have mounted a successful counter-invasion. A very small section of the occupying army has been sent into a valley in the Black Mountains, where they find that all the men have 'disappeared' (i.e. gone to join the British Resistance).

The film's 'stars' are Andrea Riseborough (who was very impressive when she played a young Margaret Thatcher in a made-for-TV film in 2008) and Tom Wlaschiha, and Michael Sheen (an actor who I think is unequalled by other actors of his generation) makes a guest appearance.

Some of the reviews that I have read are not very complimentary about this film. Nonetheless I hope to watch this DVD in the near future ... and I am sure that I will end up thinking that it was £5.00 well spent.

8 comments:

  1. Sounds like a good campaign scenario if nothing else!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting concept.... So D-Day fails... so could Wehrmacht forces occupying France at the time have been enough , if transferred to the eastern front to stop the Russians?

    If not, then the idea of them having the man power to go one to invade England, is a bit of stretch...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi - I actually watched this a few days ago, and quite enjoyed it. Not as much action as I thought but interesting nonetheless.

    I'm in the planning stages for a campaign set in a similar scenario (Northwest Wales, Germans carrying out anti-partizan duties, inspired by the film It Happened Here). Although as Scott has said, it's pretty hard to envisage any scenario in which the Germans manage to invade, I'm just closing my eyes and ignoring that, and just writing the missions, which involve a US-supplied 'Army of Freedom', set against the SS Division 'Handschar'.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read the book a few years ago. It was OK but very light on the military side of things.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Steve's Wargame Stuff,

    I had similar thoughts about the film when I saw the box blurb.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  6. Scott,

    The background story is a bit far-fetched but ...

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  7. Colonel_Scipio,

    If you ignore the basic premise of the plot, the rest of the story just about works.

    I agree with you that the opening scenes of IT HAPPENED HERE (of which I have a much-watched copy on DVD) would make an interesting scenario for a small counter-insurgency campaign.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tim Gow,

    Having now seen the film, I would probably not bother to buy the book.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.