Pages

Saturday 25 February 2012

Memphis Mangler IV

Nearly thirty-one years ago I took part in a large-scale wargame organised by the late Paddy Griffith. There were just over thirty participants, and the wargame was fought out on a large cloth model in one of the lecture theatres at the Royal Military Academy, Sandhurst. The game was set in Vietnam and was called 'Memphis Mangler' ... and it was the first so-called megagame.

Today I took part in another wargame set in Vietnam ... 'Memphis Mangler IV'. This was organised by Jim Wallman and Tim Price (both whom took also part in that very first megagame) and served both as a reaffirmation of the megagame format and as a memorial to Paddy. I intend to write a lengthier blog entry about the game tomorrow, but I would like to put on record my thanks to Jim Wallman, Tim Price, Keira (Tim's wife), and all the other participants in today's game. For a few brief hours the years seemed to roll away ... and I felt young again ... and it was thanks to all of you.

2 comments:

  1. I wish I had a digital camera 40 years ago.

    There have been some cracking games which have gone unrecorded!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jim Duncan,

    Those old wargames may be unrecorded ... but they are not forgotten, and that is the main thing.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.