Pages

Wednesday 4 May 2011

My Funny Little Wars army: The first unit ... almost!

As I wrote in a recent blog entry, I have begun to raise my army for the forthcoming FUNNY LITTLE WARS battle that will be fought at COW2011.

I decided that my troops would – wherever possible – be raised from the range of Britains Deetail toy soldiers that are still available from various sources. I made this decision because I did not think that I would have the time to buy and paint a sufficiently large force and it is my homage – however small – to the Britains troops that H G Wells used in his original battles.

By a stroke of luck I have been able to buy several 'lots' of suitable Britains Deetail toy soldiers on Ebay ... and the first batch arrived in the post today.

Now my army is going to be a South American army – the Army of Cordeguay – and as such it will have a mixture of units. The first 'unit' I have recruited is an irregular Light Infantry unit ... of Indians ... that I have decided to call Infantry Regiment Los Indios Colorados (not because they are 'Red' Indians [Apaches, to be exact], but because they wear a red and yellow 'uniform'). Once some officer and standard bearer figures arrive, the Regiment will be complete.


Infantry Regiment Los Indios Colorados


Long Live Cordeguay!

12 comments:

  1. Hi Bob,

    I expect Forbodia will be quaking in their boots at the prospect of facing these chaps!

    Viva el Cordeguay!!

    All the best,

    DC

    ReplyDelete
  2. David Crook,

    I suspect that they will laugh ... until my chaps give them a volley!

    Seriously, I think that will do all right as skirmishers, but I suspect that when they hear the other side's commander ordering 'Fix bayonets!' (in the style of Chamberlain in the film 'Gettysburg'), they might find other things to do somewhere else!

    The unit has the advantage of also being able to fight in one of Cordeguay's many Civil Wars and Indian Uprisings (on both sides, in the latter case), and so I hope to get a lot of use out of them.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  3. Abdul666,

    And I have just bought enough figures to form a second irregular infantry unit as well!

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the way they look very much.


    -- Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bluebear Jeff,

    It is a very attractive little unit ... and it should have lots of different uses as both an ally and an opponent for their more 'regular' companions (when they arrive).

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  6. A good start - have you decided how big the army of Cordeguay needs to be?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Conrad Kinch,

    Probably two regular and two irregular infantry regiments, a cavalry regiment (two if I can get enough figures), and an number of cannon (two field and one heavy initially).

    I am using the army lists in FUNNY LITTLE WARS as a guide to building up my army.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  8. An excellent start to the army . I can't wait to see the next unit...
    best wishes
    Alan

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tradgardmastare,

    The next will (hopefully) be a rather more conventional infantry unit ... or two.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mucho Bueno! An excellent start! What a great find.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ross Mac,

    For some reason they were on sale of Ebay as a 'buy it now' at a price that was very reasonable ... so I bought them

    I have some more on order, and hope to form a second regiment of irregular infantry with the additional figures.

    As and when time permits, I will paint on some additional detail, but they are certainly usable 'as is'.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.