Pages

Wednesday 15 December 2010

Little Wars: Further progress

Over the past week or so I have managed to ‘acquire’ a small artillery park for my LITTLE WARS project. Some of the guns have been delivered, and others are ‘in the post’. From what I have seen, all of them have working firing mechanisms and most will require some minor restoration work (e.g. cleaning and re-painting). None of this restoration work should be too arduous or time-consuming, and when it has been done I should have four Crescent 18-pounder Field Guns and a Britain’s 4.7” Medium Gun that I can use as a basis for an army (or two).

I have been thinking about the sort of army I want to create for my LITTLE WARS project, and I think that it will probably be based on the Lauranian Army that Winston Churchill described in his novel, SAVROLA - A TALE OF REVOLUTION IN LAURANIA. In the book he states that the Lauranian Army includes
  • The Republican Guard (One Regiment of Lancers of the Guard and three Regiments of Infantry of the Guard),
  • Four Regiments of Cavalry
  • Twenty Regiments of Infantry
  • Eight Field Artillery Batteries
In addition, there is a Republican Militia that can be called upon in time of war to help defend the country.

The army appears to be organised in ad hoc brigades that have two or three Infantry Regiments and two Field Artillery Batteries, and from what I can gather, this will be just about the right size of force to command in any forthcoming battles fought using H G Wells’ LITTLE WARS and Paul Wright’s FUNNY LITTLE WARS wargames rules.

5 comments:

  1. This is such a cool project to follow. Looking forward to more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paul Leach,

    I think that I am going to enjoy this project. It is not one that I will try to get finished quickly; I want to take time and savour each step along the way.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bob
    I take your point about not rushing things, but why does it already feel like an out of control arms race?
    Tim

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tim Gow,

    If you think that this is an out of control arms race ... just wait until we start building the battleships!

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bob
    Well that's another fine mess...etc
    Tim

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.