Pages

Friday 3 December 2010

The Last Samurai

I did not manage to see THE LAST SAMURAI when it was on general release, and from some of the reviews I read I was unsure whether or not I would like it. By chance I happened to see about twenty minutes of the film on television recently, and I rapidly came to the conclusion that I had to watch it as soon as I could. I managed to miss the film again when it was repeated, but whilst I was at the local shopping centre this evening I saw a copy of the DVD on sale ... and bought it.

The film's stars include Tom Cruise, Ken Watanabe, Timothy Spall, and Billy Conolly, and it tells the story of Captain Nathan Algren (played by Tom Cruise), an American Civil War veteran who is employed to help train the new, modern Japanese Army. He is captured by Katsumoto (Ken Watanabe), the leader of the few remaining Samurai, and as a result Algren learns to respect the Samurai and their way of life (and death).

This much I have gathered from the notes on the DVD's cover and from what I saw of the film on the television. As it fits into one of my favourite periods of military history (the late nineteenth century), watching the DVD is one of my priorities for this weekend, and with a bit of luck, I should manage to do so.

8 comments:

  1. I enjoyed it when I saw it, so hopefully so will you.


    -- Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Sir,
    Beautiful cimematography, Billie Connely wearing an imperial , superb weaponry but white, liberal guilt raises it's head in the Tom Cruise character. This coupled with incredible caualties insults the intellect. Still, there are moments.... Think: "Dances With Wolves," in Japan.
    cordially,
    David Corbett

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bluebear Jeff,

    I am sure that I will.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jubilo,

    Your descritpion makes it sound pretty well what I imagined it would be like.

    I liked 'Dances with Wolves', so if it is similar, I should not have any problems enjoying watching it.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very (very) enjoyable Hollywood hokum in my personal opinion... I own it and confess to enjoying it very much... one of Mr Cruise's better efforts...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Steve-the-Wargamer,

    Many thanks for your ringing endorsement.

    It sounds like it was £7.00 well spent!

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bob,
    It's not bad, as such things go. And having watched it, you won't need to bother with Avatar, which has essentially the same plot with a sci-fi virtual world overlay!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Arthur1815,

    I hope to watch the DVD this afternoon, but I have few things to do before I can.

    Thanks for the tip about 'Avatar'. This is not a film that particularly appeals to me. Presently I have enough problems dealing with things that are reasonably realistic, let alone Sci-Fi and Fantasy ... I get enough of the latter at work!

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.