Pages

Monday 1 June 2009

The terrain system time forgot … well, sort of!

As regular readers of my blog will know, I like hexed terrain. In fact, as I discovered this evening whilst continuing to sort out my wargames room, I have quite a lot … but it isn’t all Hexon II!

Some time ago I was in a branch of Argos and saw that they had Heroscape™ sets for sale (I understand that the manufacturer was revamping the game and wanted all the ‘old’ sets sold off before the ‘new ones went on sale). They were very cheap, and seeing that they used a hex system – approximately 4cm across from face to face – I decided to buy some. In fact, I bought quite a lot … much more than I had intended to buy but it was a bargain …

Not being able to leave anything as it is – and inspired by David O Miller’s MELEE & WIZARD website – I spend some time flocking at least a couple of sets of Heroscape™ hexes, and it improved the look no end. However the company that supplied the flock I was using stopped stocking it, and the project fizzled out … until tonight when I found the boxful of flocked terrain and two draft sets of rules that I had been working on at the time.

I do not intend to stop work on everything else that I have planned, but it has made me realise that I have a lot of stuff that I could – and should – be putting to better use.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting stuff...I have always wondered if I could make something of the heroscape terrain...so many projects!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lttlejohn,

    I bought it as an alternative to Hexon II for use with smaller scale figures, and my 'experiments' with 15mm figures on bases worked fairly well (see my blog entry for 20th December 2008 for an example). In addition, it could easily be used for skirmish-level games with one figure per hex.

    Bob

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.