Pages

Thursday 25 June 2009

Irresistible 3 for 2 at Waterstone's! – More books to read!

The first play-test of WHEN EMPIRES CLASH! is underway, but was interrupted by my wife’s need for some retail therapy. This included the usual mundane shopping for food and other household consumables as well as a visit to the travel agents to book a short cruise next Easter to Ireland and Northern Spain.

I was allowed some time off ‘for good behaviour’, and I was able to pay a visit to the local branch of Waterstone’s, where I discovered that they were having a ‘3 for 2’ sale of books. The latter included some Osprey books that I have had my eye on but was just too mean to buy … until now.

I am now the proud owner of the following books:
  • THE RUSSIAN CIVIL WAR 1918 – 22 by David Bullock

  • LANDING CRAFT, INFANTRY AND FIRE SUPPORT by Gordon L Rottman and Peter Bull

  • JAPANESE TANKS 1939 – 45 by Steven J Zaloga and Peter Bull

Although this may seem a rather disparate selection, there is purpose in my madness:
  • The Russian Civil War has lots of small battles, and WHEN EMPIRES CLASH! would be an ideal set of rules to use to refight them.
  • I have always be fascinated by amphibious warfare, and I find landing craft – particularly those were modified for other tasks – intriguing.
  • Finally, I don’t know very much about Japanese tanks and I hope that this book will make me somewhat better informed.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Bob, Good choice re the titles! The RCW is a period that SEEMS took on the road as the club game a couple of years ago and still gets wheeled out every so often on club nights. The rules used were an RCW version of Dave Manley's De Bellus Horribilius - a WW1 variant of DBA. If you are interested I could probably get hold of a set and ping them over - let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ogrefencer,

    The RCW has lots of interesting things about it - as does the Russo-Polish War that follows it.

    A copy of the DBA variant would be welcome if you can send it to me.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tim,

    I think that the Japanese attack in Malaya would make for an interesting Megablitz game ... as would the Russian attack on Manchuria in 1945.

    What do you think?

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.