Pages

Sunday 28 June 2009

I have had better days …

My wife and I have been celebrating her birthday with a few days away at our favourite hotel in Norfolk.

On the journey home she began to complain of feeling very hot, which was not surprising as the weather was very humid and we had an enforce stop on the motorway as a result of an accident several miles ahead. We finally got home much later than we had expected but she continued to feel unwell. She eventually took her temperature, which was 101 degrees, and has gone to bed in the hope that she will feel better in the morning.

In the meantime her computer has decided to go seriously wrong, and I have spent the last two hours trying to fix it … to no avail. I suspect that it has finally given up the ghost and will have to be replaced. Luckily I have a simple device that will allow me to download and save the files from her hard drive, which will mean that anything that was not recently backed-up should not be lost.

All this has meant that I have not been able to devote any time to wargaming today and unless she gets better soon, it is likely that I will have to put my play-test of WHEN EMPIRES CLASH! on hold for at least a couple of days.

10 comments:

  1. Bob,

    Look at it this way, you can call her new computer a "birthday present".

    I hope that she hasn't contracted the H1N1 virus . . . that would not be a good birthday present.


    -- Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's wishing you better days, and get well to your wife.

    Dave

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeff,

    A great suggestion but I somehow don't think she would wear it!

    Seriously though, she uses her computer for work – besides being an educational consultant she also does genealogical research – and her computer is vital for her work. Luckily I have a couple of laptops that she can switch over to using if I can download files from her hard drive. It will take me some time but it will mean that when she feels better she can at least begin working again.

    Her symptoms are not the same as those listed by the National Health Service for H1N1, but I am trying to keep a close eye on her just in case.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  4. Littlejohn,

    Many thanks for your kind words.

    With any luck my wife will be feeling much better soon and her computer problems will be solved.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope that Sue and you enjoyed the L.S. and that she is soon recovered and you will able to attend C.O.W.

    I have read Eamon's e-mail and am ready.

    Best wishes,

    Tone

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Bob, I hope all is well with your good lady and that it is nothing serious. Also that the PC dramas abate in good time.

    All the best. DC

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tone,

    The LS was great as ever, although there are changes afoot. I will tell you more at COW ... and thanks for your offer of help by the way.

    Sue is a bit better today, but she was not well enough to go to work. She THINKS that she will be well enough to go to work tomorrow, but we shall see in the morning.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  8. Steve,

    The computer is as dead as a door nail, and will need to be replaced in the near future. In the meantime I have lashed up a replacement so that my wife can at least do some of her work.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ogrefencer,

    My wife is feeling a bit better ... unlike the computer, which is destined for the scrap heap if I cannot reinstall the operating system.

    As far as I can make out, the computer was switched on during a thunderstorm and has been affected by some sort of electrical disturbance. The Senior IT technician at work has listened to the symptoms and is going to try to find me a spare copy of the operating system so that I can reinstall it. If that doesn’t work, all I can do is salvage the hard drive and download what is on it to a new computer.

    All this at a time when I am trying to finish the play-test and get ready for COW!

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.